Materials For a Cheap Monday garment to be labelled Sustainable it must contain a minimum of 50% sustainable materials.
- All consumption affects the environment. By gradually increasing the use of recycled or other sustainably sourced materials, we try to lower our impact. The goal is to have our entire denim, menswear and womenswear collections carrying our Sustainable hangtag by FW18.
For a Cheap Monday garment to be labelled Sustainable it must contain a minimum of 50% sustainable materials. However, the majority OF THE GARMENTS will contain NEARLY up to 100%. All sustainable materials used for our products are produced according to a strict standard and certified by an independent certification body. *
- Milestones Sustainable: •SS17: 72% of our denim, 51% of the menswear and 34% of the womenswear is labelled Sustainable. •FW17: all denim, 88% of the menswear and 59% of the womenswear will be labelled Sustainable. •FW18: our goal is to have the entire menswear and womenswear collections labelled Sustainable, just as the denim.
- Organic cotton and other sustainably sourced materials Being a jeanswear brand, cotton is among our most frequently used materials. We are aware of the negative impact conventionally grown cotton has on humans and the environment and are therefore happy to be able to offer denim in organic cotton, which is a more sustainable alternative.
- Organic cotton is also used extensively in our womenswear and menswear collections, alongside with recycled polyester, recycled cotton and tencel®lyocell, where relevant. In parallel we will continue researching more sustainable options to find new, alternative materials for future collections.
- We are increasing our use of sustainably sourced materials season by season: •72% of our denim for SS17 is made with organic cotton. •For FW17 the goal is to increase this percentage to 100%. •We are increasing the amount of organic cotton also in the menswear and womenswear collections for each season. Already for SS17 there will be many available options. •For SS18 the goal is to replace conventional cotton with organic or recycled in our entire menswear and womenswear collections, just as in the denim collection. •Recycled polyester is also used in relevant product categories, and we are aiming to increase our use of recycled materials in general.
Why organic cotton?
Organic cotton demands less water, is grown without the use of chemical pesticides and fertilizers and it does not contain GMO. Choosing organic cotton means using 71% less water, 62% less energy and lowering the climate impact with 46% as compared to using traditional cotton, according to Textile Exchange
- Why recycled polyester? Polyester is an artificial fiber which is used widely around the world. It is unsustainable since it is made from oil. Recycled polyester is a sustainable option to conventional polyester. Oil-based waste such as e.g. PET plastic bottles is put to good use, reducing the use of virgin plastic.
- * All organic cotton used for our products is produced according to a strict standard and has been certified by accredited certification bodies such as Control Union, IMO and ICEA (Instituto per la Certificazione Etica ed Ambientale) according to the standards GOTS or OCS and is verified by a transaction certificate.